Divorce or Dissolution of Marriage

At The Law Offices of Samuel S. Sorota, we take pride in providing effective legal services to our clients.

Miami, Florida Family Law & Divorce Lawyer

Having to end a marriage is usually difficult and painful and more so, the process of filing a divorce can be stressful. Where there are children involved in the marriage, it can get even more complicated.

When you hire The Law Offices of Samuel S. Sorota to handle your divorce case, you can rest assured that your divorce would be handled by experienced professionals who would work hard to achieve a favorable solution for your case.

What do I need to file a divorce in Florida?

Florida is a no-fault divorce state which means that you only have to show that the marriage has irretrievably broken down in order to file a divorce. You would not have to prove fault such as divorce or willful desertion in order to be granted a divorce. One spouse would also need to have been a resident in Florida for at least 6 months.

You would also need your financial documents such as credit card and bank statements as well as pay stubs and W2s as this would be needed to review your case and input information on your financial affidavit which is required by the court.

It is important to take note of your debts as this could also be divided alongside with property.

How do I begin the divorce process?

Divorce may be filed by either the husband or wife through a petition for dissolution of marriage. Upon receipt of the petition, the other party must respond with an Answer within 20 days either admitting or denying the facts stated in the petition. A counter-petition may also be filed by the receiving spouse.

The parties must provide each other with a financial affidavit which is a sworn statement of assets, income, liabilities and expenses. Where the parties have mutually agreed on how property should be divided, the marital settlement agreement is filed with the court. On the other hand, where both parties are unable to agree, the divorce matter goes to trial and the court makes the judgement on settlement. Florida adopts the equitable distribution rule and the assets and liabilities of the parties would be distributed equitably.

The Law Offices of Samuel S. Sorota can assist you achieve a favorable resolution through mediation. If one party is hostile however and the parties are unable to reach a settlement, we can also help you with litigation if your case has to go to trial.

We offer free consultations at our Miami, Florida office. If you are considering getting a divorce and would like to discuss your options, please give us a call at (305) 652-7777 to schedule an appointment.