Fiance and Spouse Visas

At The Law Offices of Samuel S. Sorota, we take pride in providing effective legal services to our clients.

Miami, Florida Fiance and Spouse Visa Lawyers

In today’s globalized world, more and more people fall in love and choose to marry people of other nationalities. In a perfect world, you should be able to make such decisions on a whim and decide to live wherever you want. Unfortunately, every country has laws, rules and regulations which must be obeyed. The United States has stringent and complicated fiance visa requirements and it can be a daunting, stressful task trying to figure out the process just before the wedding.

What is a Fiancé and Spouse Visa?

U.S. Citizens who wish to bring their fiancé(e) to the United States in order to get married will need to obtain a K-1 visa for the fiancé(e). A K-1 Visa is one that is issued to the fiancé(e) of a U.S. Citizen to enable them enter the United States and get married within 3 months of entry. If your fiancé(e) has children, a K-2 visa would be issued allowing them to enter the U.S. while they await the availability of an immigrant visa.

Usually, you would be required to prove that you met your fiancé(e) physically at least once within the two-year period preceding the application. This condition may be waived and it becomes even more important to seek legal advice if you wish to have it waived.

Where the marriage is conducted within 90 days of entry, your new spouse may then apply for a green card by filing an application to register permanent residence or adjust status. If you fail to get married within 90 days of entry, then the visa automatically expires and your fiancé(e) and any accompanying children must leave the United States. Where the marriage is conducted after the 90-day period, you may still be able to keep your new spouse in the U.S. by filing a petition for an alien relative.

Preparing to get married should be a time of fun and shouldn’t be fraught with obstacles and hitches such as obtaining a visa. Obtaining a visa should be the last thing you have to worry about during this exciting time. At The Law Offices of Samuel S. Sorota, we understand how important it is to have your wedding plans and life ahead go on smoothly. If you would like to take advantage of our free consultation to find out more about the fiancé(e) K-1 Visa application process, please give us a call at (305) 652-7777 to schedule an appointment.